Countdown to PQRS Penalties
What is Meaningful Use?
Meaningful Use is a Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services program that pays an incentive for "meaningful use" of an electronic health record (EHR).
NOTE: If you attest to Meaningful Use, you cannot receive an incentive for MU and eRx at the same time. You can however, submit PQRS Quality Measures in addition to MU and receive a PQRS Incentive payment.
Meaningful use of an EHR means that you are using the EHR to do the following:*
- Improve quality and safety, efficiency, and reduce health disparities
- Engage patients and families in their health care
- Improve care coordination
- Improve population and public health
- All while maintaining privacy and security.
The program is being developed in stages and we are currently in Stage 1, with Stage 2 rules just released but not in effect until 2014.
What are the Stage 1 requirements?
- Use of a certified EHR in a meaningful manner (e.g. eprescribing)
- Use of a certified EHR for electronic exchange of health information to improve the quality of health care
- Use of certified EHR technology to submit clincial quality measures (CQM).
Qualifying for Stage 1 meaningful use of your electronic health record (EHR) means that
- Your EHR meets all 20 objectives for meaningful use
- You report 6 clinical quality measures
- Your EHR and has been in use for at least 90 days, the first year and 12 months for all subsequent years.
PQRS Solutions can help you determine if you meet all Meaningful Use objectives and can submit your Clinical Quality Measures for you.
Medicare Incentive Pilot
If you submit your Clinical Quality Meaures through a qualified data-submission vendor (DSV) like PQRS Solutions, you can get both your incentive payment for Meaningful Use and get your PQRS incentive at the same time. Submitting through a DSV is considered participating in the Medicare EHR Incentive Pilot.
Who is eligible for the Medicare Incentive Pilot?
- Doctors of medicine or osteopathy
- Doctors of dental surgery or dental medicine
- Doctors of podiatry
- Doctors of optometry
How many CQMs do I need to report?
You need to report the three core measures plus three additional measures.If you do not qualify for the three core measures, you must report three alternate core measures.
What are the core, alternate core and additional measures?
Click here to see a list of core and alternate measures.
How do I submit?
Submission has two parts:
- Submission of clinical quality measures through a qualified Data-Submission Vendor such as PQRS Solutions.
- Attestation that you meet the the other criteria.for meaningful use.
Register with us. We will take you through the process and make it easy for you.
You can start now to register with CMS for Meaningful Use attestation.
Want to learn more?
How do I know if I qualify?
Use this quick calculator to see if you qualify.
How much money will I receive for Stage 1?
$44,000 over four years, but only if you start in 2012.
Can you register and attest on my behalf?
Yes. Just tell us you want us to attest on your behalf and we'll get started.