What is Meaningful Use?
Meaningful Use is a Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services program that pays an incentive for "meaningful use" of an electronic health record (EHR). It is a separate program from PQRS.
NOTE: If you attest to Meaningful Use, you should submit PQRS Quality Measures in addition to MU to avoid a PQRS and value-based modifier penalty. In fact, if you don't participate in PQRS, you will receive a 2% penalty in 2017.
Meaningful use of an EHR means that you are using the EHR to do the following:*
- Improve quality and safety, efficiency, and reduce health disparities
- Engage patients and families in their health care
- Improve care coordination
- Improve population and public health
- All while maintaining privacy and security.
The program is being developed in stages with the first year of Stage 2 in 2014.
What are the Stage 1 requirements?
- Use of a certified EHR in a meaningful manner (e.g. eprescribing)
- Use of a certified EHR for electronic exchange of health information to improve the quality of health care
- Use of certified EHR technology to submit clincial quality measures (CQM).
Qualifying for Stage 1 meaningful use of your electronic health record (EHR) means that
- Your EHR meets all 20 objectives for meaningful use
- You report 6 clinical quality measures
- Your EHR and has been in use for at least 90 days, the first year and 12 months for all subsequent years.
Who is eligible for the Meaningful Use?
- Doctors of medicine or osteopathy
- Doctors of dental surgery or dental medicine
- Doctors of podiatry
- Doctors of optometry
How many CQMs do I need to report?
You need to report the three core measures plus three additional measures.If you do not qualify for the three core measures, you must report three alternate core measures.
What are the core, alternate core and additional measures?
Click here to see a list of core and alternate measures.
How do I submit?
We recommend attesting to all Meaningful Use measures, including clinical quality measures.
You can start now to register with CMS for Meaningful Use attestation.
Want to learn more?
How do I know if I qualify?
Use this quick calculator to see if you qualify.
How much money will I receive for Stage 1?
$44,000 over four years, but only if you start in 2012.
Can you register and attest on my behalf?
Meaningful Use is not our specialty, but we can guide you to other resources.
How can I learn more?